Saturday 21 August 2010

Hi-Rise Development

There comes a point (as Tokyo's town planners realized) when simply spreading out in two dimensions stops making sense - it it better to exercise the third dimension. Thus it was with my new controller which allows the VXO beacon system to generate WSPR signals.

I had demonstrated how Gene w3pm's software could be modified to generate contol codes for the MCP4922 ADC in my VXO system, firing these control codes down a temporary SPI funiculus umbilicalis. But I wanted something more robust...

It made sense to build an "add-on" board, which literally plugged into the socket which once held the PIC16F676 of the original system - hence my foray into the third dimension.

The board was quickly designed in Eagle...

... produced using Alberto's magazine method and my new laminator and quickly stuffed...


The cut-out seen at the top-right corner is designed to leave access to the RF output from the VXO/mixer board.

Here you can see the underside of the new add-on board ready to plug into the vacated 16F676 socket...


... and here is the new, three-dimensional, "Hi-Rise" assembly...


Now the VXO-based WSPR system is rather neater than before...


All ready to fit into the nice new box I saw at Maplins today.

...-.- de m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment